Friday, March 28, 2014

Positivity



The power of positive thought…

I’ve been thinking quite a lot about my thought processes.  I once deemed myself an optimistic person, but I have found that life can jade you.  Struggles, obstacles, they tend to make you dubious of good circumstances after a while.  Eventually one finds one’s self consistently waiting for that proverbial shoe to drop.

And that is a miserable way to live life.

Does it keep one cautious?  Yes.  Does it keep one guarded?  Yes.  But whether or not we intend for these bad occurrences to befall, they will happen regardless.  What exactly is the harm of being positive about your position?  Being unprepared can cause disappointment?  From what I’ve seen in my short lifetime, life is riddled with disappointment, but it’s no reason to draw up walls and shut potential relationships and opportunities out.

The Dalai Lama once said, “In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision.”

I read this to mean that before we can start living a positive life, before we can start reaping what we sow, we have to first change our thinking.  We have to change our thought patterns about people, places, and situations.  In order to dispel the darkness there has to be some cognizance of light.  In order to see the silver lining in the clouds, you have to first begin looking for it.

What would happen if instead of cowering in the corner, waiting for evils to ensue, we met each possibility with acceptance and tolerance?  What would happen if we threw wide our arms and welcomed whatever came?  The positive circumstances bring blessings.  The negative circumstances bring wisdom, which is still, too, a blessing.  So what exactly is “bad” here?  And why do we need to hide ourselves away from it?

It is an epiphany that I’ve had that I’ve lived a good portion of my adult life entirely wrong.

It is something that I look forward to changing.

1 comment: